The following provides highlights of who’s eligible. Please refer to the Summary Plan Descriptions to confirm eligibility for certain benefits.
- Benefits-eligible employees scheduled 30+ hours/week are eligible for all benefits described.
- Benefits-eligible employees scheduled 20-29 hours/week are eligible for all benefits described on the site except dependent tuition and paid parental leave.*
- For all benefits except paid time off, short-term disability and tuition assistance, coverage for new hires or newly eligible employees is effective the first day of the month after your date of hire or eligibility with completion of enrollment. All newly hired employees have 30 days from your date of hire to complete enrollment.
- For paid time off and short-term disability benefits, employees regularly scheduled to work 20 or more hours per week are eligible after completion of any probationary period.
- Employee tuition assistance is available after completion of any probationary period. Dependent tuition assistance is available to regular full-time employees after four years of continuous service (or two years of continuous service for employees hired before Jan. 1, 2018).
*Paid parental leave not available to Johns Hopkins Hospital represented employees.
- Your children (with submission of a birth certificate and Social Security number) up to age 26, regardless of the child’s student or marital status. Note: Coverage ends at the end of the month when your dependent reaches age 26.
- Your legal spouse (with submission of a certified marriage certificate and Social Security number). If your spouse works for a Johns Hopkins Medicine affiliate, you cannot be covered as both an employee and a dependent. In addition, your eligible dependents may only be covered under one plan.
Qualifying Life Event Changes
Outside the annual enrollment period, the only time during the plan year that you can add or drop coverage or dependents is when you have a family status change. Qualifying events include:
- Marriage or divorce
- Birth of a child/Adoption
- Death of a dependent
- Gain or loss of a spouse’s coverage
- Change in your dependent’s employment status
To make a mid-year change in benefits, you must create a Qualifying Life Event request in the enrollment system and upload supporting documentation within 30 days of the life event.
Note: If you are covered under a collective bargaining agreement, check the agreement for details.